Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Listening to Signs

Not signs in the Five Man Electrical Band "long haired freaky people, need not apply" sense, but in the figurative sense.


Drawing by Brian Andreas

I've expresses my love of Brian Andreas in the past (his quote even made an appearance on our invites!). This story is the very first one of his that I read, some 6 years ago & was hooked:

"I used to wait for a sign, she said, before I did anything. Then one night I had a dream & an angel in black tights came to me & said, you can start any time now, & then I asked is this a sign? & the angel started laughing & I woke up. Now, I think the whole world is filled with signs, but if there's no laughter, I know they're not for me."

I've read a lot of blogs where a bride books/buys something based on a sign. There are a lot of cultures where signs are extremely significant. While I definitely think my life is grounded in reality, I have to admit that I've listened to signs in the past.

For example, I have (had) this pick since I was in Junior High. Yes, you read that correctly - a pick. Not a brush or a comb, a pick. I think I am the last person on the face of the earth who still uses one(?). Anyway, I LOVED this $5 Goody pick for years. When I've left it somewhere (when visiting out of town friends), I've had it FedExed to me. Anyway, this pick has been with me through everything - high school, swim meets, broken hearts, happy times - and it has been all over the world - France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Mexico, Jamaica. Oh, Jamaica. My little pick accompanied Mr. Quiche and I on our "venue research" trip to Jamaica last year.


I wish I had a picture of my teal beauty to share with you...but this stock image will have to do. sigh.

& I LOST it (lost it in the literal sense this time, as in it's GONE!). I talked to my mom while I was down there (she knows the plight of the pick) & actually said "Is this a sign that we shouldn't get married in Jamaica?". We briefly considered it...then realized that it may be a bit drastic. I mean, who is silly enough to pay attention to something like that? Not me*. We booked our wedding in Jamaica & it was absolutely perfect. The loss of my beloved pick didn't make it rain on my wedding day, didn't make my dress fall down, etc. Shew.

I know this is a silly post, but we all need to laugh every now and then :) So tell me, what signs have you received and what did you do/not do, buy/not buy, book/not book, etc. because of them?

* Okay, I lied. I lost it at the Hibiscus Lodge Hotel. It's possible that this contributed to my disdain for that place & our subsequent booking of the Coyaba. shh...don't tell anyone!

1 comment:

Tonya Winningham said...

I, too, have a teal pick (with white and pink on the tips) that I have had since I got a perm way back in junior high! I still use it daily and it has been EVERYWHERE with me! I never thought anyone else actually had them anymore, and I am sure I should be using a brush, but I just can't seem to kick this habit! :)